Hey everyone, Will here! For the past few months I’ve been riding my electric scooter to and from work! It’s been a great commute and really helps center my day, and reduces parking anxiety quite a bit (lol). Unfortunately, a few weeks ago my rear tire went flat while I was riding and so I had to replace the innertube. However, to get that rear wheel off I needed to remove some bolt covers that protected the mounting hardware for the wheel.
I soon realized that one of the bolt covers had a stripped mounting screw and so I needed to figure out how to get it off. I went with the ol’ fashioned break the plastic piece off maneuver and was about to fix my rear wheel and place it back on the scooter.
One problem though, I needed a new bolt cover to replace the piece I’d broken off.
To start off on my replacement piece, I created some drawings to get a better idea of the dimensions and sizing for the part. These drawings at the different perspectives helped me in the modeling phase.
After the drawings were complete, I got straight to modeling the part so that it could be printed, tested, and iterated, and I was able to get everything back to looking as it came out of the box in no time!
See the video below for details on how it all came together!